Local Volunteer Opportunities for Middle School Students
Audubon Canyon Ranch
- Wildlife sanctuaries in Northern California committed to preservation, education and research.
Lists a variety of volunteer opportunities and work days including clearing trails, pulling invasive plants and habitat restoration. (707) 938-4554
Cal Kids Care
- A web site for teen (12-18 years old) volunteers to locate and post community service opportunities in the bay area.
California Coastal Commission Public Education
- Promotes the annual coastal clean up day, typically on September 24th and 25th, and has adopt-a-beach program through out the year. 1-800-COAST4U
- Located in the Canal neighborhood and committed to building self-sufficiency and leadership for a healthier community. The Canal Alliance provides a holiday food distribution in December and other one -time youth volunteer opportunities. (415) 306-0452
Center for Volunteer & Non Profit Leadership of Marin
- Coordinates a community action team (CAT) for middle and high school students committed to youth volunteerism. Also has an online youth volunteer directory.
Cedars of Marin
- A residential and day program for adults with developmental disabilities located in Ross, San Rafael, and San Anselmo. Cedars of Marin has a volunteer ‘cedar buddy’ program established with opportunities to play bingo or go bowling with the clients in the program. (415) 455-1715 x 150
Golden Gate National Park Conservancy
- Supports and assists the Golden Gate National Parks with research, interpretation and conservation. Golden Gate National Park Conservancy has a weekly volunteer schedule for opportunities in habitat restoration, gardening, trail maintenance and beach clean ups. (415) 561-3013
Halleck Creek Riding Club
- Located in Nicasio, Halleck Creek Riding Club offers therapeutic horseback riding and other activities to children and adults with disabilities. (415) 662-2488
- A nonprofit providing transitional and long term housing and support services for homeless people in Marin. Volunteer opportunities to prepare and serve meals, help with childcare and help in the new beginnings garden. (415) 457-2114
Lacrosse for LIFE
- Provides year-round youth lacrosse and enrichment programs in under-served communities in San Francisco. Volunteers needed to host equipment drives for the program. firstname.lastname@example.org
Love is the Answer (LITA)
- Aims to improve the quality of life for elderly persons by providing visitors.
Love is the Answer (LITA) has pet connection program and elderly visit program. (415) 472-5482
Marin Community Food Bank
- Provides quality food to people in Marin who need nutritional assistance. Students can help with food drives and delivery bag decorating. (415) 883-1302
Marin County School Volunteers
- Recruits, trains, and places adult and student volunteer tutors in classrooms and homework centers across Marin County in order to help children realize their potential. In addition to tutoring, students are needed to help with the annual fall book drive. (415) 499-5896
Marin Humane Society
- Animal shelter committed to animal rescue, rehabilitation and ‘re home’. Volunteer opportunities listed under "programs and services." (415) 506-6267
Meals of Marin
- Provides nourishment, comfort, hope, and dignity for home bound Marin residents with cancer and other life threatening diseases. Volunteer to prepare meals in the kitchen. (415) 457-4666
Richardson Bay Audubon Center & Sanctuary
- Committed to education, conservation and restoration of Richardson Bay. Richardson Bay Audubon Center & Sanctuary has a youth volunteer program and ongoing work days. (415) 388-2524x103
- Provides sport, art and social programs for adults with developmental disabilities. Online calendar lists upcoming volunteer opportunities. (415) 453-4847
St. Vincent De Paul
- Provides services to the poor and needy of Marin County who might not otherwise receive help. Volunteer opportunities to students 12 and older. Must attend a volunteer orientation held the first Monday of each month. (415) 454-3303
Save the Bay
- Committed to protecting, restoring and celebrating the San Francisco Bay.
Has bay area wetland restoration volunteer opportunities throughout the year. (510) 452-9261
- A non profit teaching farm. Volunteer work-days scheduled on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Special Olympics of Northern California
- Provides year round sports training and competition for people with developmental disabilities.
Volunteer opportunities listed. (415) 883-8455
- Provides a fun, positive fall soccer team program for ‘special needs’ kids. Volunteers are needed to help teach basic soccer skills. (415) 381-KICK
Trips for Kids
- Provides lessons in self-confidence, environmental awareness, and healthy habits to disadvantaged youth through the simple act of having fun on mountain bikes. Volunteers are needed to assist on rides, and help with bike maintenance. (415) 458-2986
- Volunteer Marin hosts volunteer activities all around Marin County that are great for families and kids of all ages. We are looking for youth to be a part of our Youth Led Backyard Creations. This project will work to restore and beautify a backyard space at the Family Resource Center, a Homeward Bound of Marin program housing 9 families in downtown San Rafael. Inspired by and created for youth, this project builds a great partnership between Homeward Bound of Marin, The YMCA Youth Courts, and Volunteer Marin. No day will be the same! Some of the projects we're looking forward to are: cleaning up, painting, planting an edible garden, and even working on art projects such as murals to help decorate the space. Open to all, bring your friends and come help create a beautiful space that can be enjoyed by the entire facility and make a positive difference in your community! (415) 479-5710 and ask for the Volunteer Services Department
- A wildlife rehab hospital and education center in San Rafael. Wildcare has a volunteer program for 12-17 year old students. (415) 453-1000x21